Listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Pritchard Shipyard (1778-1831), the rich maritime history of the property
known today as The Shipyard begins in 1681. The original tract was granted to a Barbadian colonist, Colonel John Godfrey who then sold the property to his friend Captain Richard Dearsley. In 1701 Dearsley’s son, Major George Dearsley, a shipbuilder, purchased the tract for its ideal deepwater location and resources for building tall ships. Plus, legend has it that the shipyard needed to be built outside of Charleston because the owners could not keep the workers out of the pubs in the city.
Prominent shipwrights, Stewart and Rose, later purchased the operation in 1753 and began building their gold-standard ships. Their business flourished selling to Begbie and Manson in 1769, who further expanded the enterprise before Paul Pritchard acquired it in 1778. Pritchard’s Shipyard was the largest shipyard in colonial South Carolina. Paul’s son, William, a.k.a. “Hobcaw Bill,” closed the shipyard in 1831 as the local economy turned to more profitable agricultural endeavors.
Many notable ships launched from the property, including what is considered the epitome of South Carolina-built ships, the Heart of Oak (1763). Other history-making vessels included the Liberty (1767), the Magna Carta (1770), the Fair American (1776) and the Unanimity (1794).
Beginning in 1989, the South Carolina Institute of Archaeology and Anthropology conducted a survey and excavation at the site, unearthing thousands of artifacts and details that tell the story of The Shipyard. The excavation led to the discovery that a live oak had grown through an original brick structure. While the treasured live oak was removed, its maritime provenance lives on. Through the state’s cooperative agreement with the Navy, the tree’s wood was supplied for the Navy’s historic ships reconstruction program and was installed in the restored hull of the USS Constitution and other historic vessels. The legacy of Pritchard’s Shipyard will continue to live on whether in the USS Constitution, the family cemetery in the heart of Mount Pleasant where lies the remains of Paul Pritchard, new discoveries of artifacts on the property, and now with The Shipyard, as this one-of-a kind community is created.
The Shipyard is a simple, yet elegant pocket neighborhood in the heart of the well-established Hobcaw community. The current owners are commited to preserving its natural beauty and history. They have engaged Town Planning & Urban Design Collaborative, a planning firm that is a national leader in traditional town planning, to help design the community. The vision for The Shipyard has been carefully crafted to create a strong sense of community while ensuring privacy and tranquaility. The homes have been artfully places to guarantee all lots have premium secluded back porch views of and access to the water including the fresh and saltwater ponds as well as Hobcaw Creek and the marshes surrounding it. The Shipyard will remain low density, offering only four new home sites in addition to the owner’s home on the property.
The Site Plan
Each lot will have a dedicated, deepwater boat slip. The Shipyard is centered around the Shipwrights Commons, a pocket park that is designed with gathering in mind. Swaying sweetgrass, a small plaza with a fountain and a lawn will become The Shipyard’s meeting place when friends want to get together. Proposed house plans are available upon request. Lots include:
- 345 Coinbow Drive (Lot 1): 0.423 acres, 135 ft. wide x 144 ft. deep deeded boat slip
- 348 Coinbow Drive (Lot 2): 0.305 acres, 135 ft wide x 100 ft. deep deeded boat slip (FOR SALE)
- 349 Coinbow Drive (Lot 3): 0.486 acres, 160 ft. wide x 120 ft. deeded boat slip (FOR SALE)
We have held on to certain patterns of building that are the basic building blocks of any comfortable and wellbuilt
home that relates to the local context of the Lowcountry. These defining characteristics respond to the hot, humid climate by promoting air circulation, shading and natural cooling. Raised foundations provide an opportunity for parking and storage. One- and two-story porches create shade and provide additional outdoor living space. Tall windows maximize the amount of air allowed inside, and high ceilings allow more space for warm air to rise, keeping the lower portions of the room cooler. We encourage owners to incorporate sustainable materials and systems into their design whenever possible. Local building materials like stucco and clapboard siding can be used for the wall materials. Finally, to pay homage to the shipbuilding history of the site, our sample plans have sparingly incorporated nautical elements and ornamentation in the design of the homes. All of this beautiful architecture will be nestled into a landscape designed with low impact and natural aesthetic as its top priorities.
Video of the Property
For more information, please contact listing agent Jimmy Dye at 843.452.6482 or jdye@TheCassinaGroup.com