Hampton Park Terrace SC Homes for Sale
Life in Hampton Park Terrace
Bordering the pristine Hampton Park, the neighborhood of Hampton Park Terrace is comprised of homes built in the early 20th century, reflecting the architectural style of this time period. A planned residential subdivision, Hampton Park Terrace offers the advantage of living on the peninsula, but without the bustling car and foot traffic of downtown neighborhoods. With just under 250 residences, 218 of which are on the National Register of Historic Properties in South Carolina, Hampton Park Terrace is a lovely place to own a home.
Constructed in the early 1900’s, the site of Hampton Park Terrace was chosen for its desirable location out of town, as well as its proximity to the Ashley River. Homes in the neighborhood were built between 1910 and 1945, though the majority of construction occurred during 1914 to 1922. At the time of initial construction, some Charlestonians had doubts as to whether or not the subdivision would be successful. Hampton Park Terrace was a desirable neighborhood from the start, as nearly 200 homes had been built in the new subdivision by 1922.
Located directly below Hampton Park, the neighborhood is bounded by Congress Street to the south, and enclosed by Rutledge Street and The Citadel. Its closeness to Hampton Park and the Citadel give the neighborhood a laid back vibe, making it family friendly, as well as a favorite among graduate students and recent college graduates. Convenience is key in Hampton Park Terrace, as it is less than 5 minutes from downtown Charleston by car, with easy access to I-26 and Highway 17.
The neighborhood is zoned for Charleston’s metro public school system. In addition, there are a number of independent elementary, middle, and high schools within a few miles. Notables include Ashley Hall, a K-12 college preparatory school for girls, and Porter Gaud, a K-12 college preparatory school for both girls and boys.
Because Hampton Park Terrace is a public area of downtown Charleston, there is no HOA fee. Amenities include Allan Park, which is located within the boundaries of the neighborhood, as well as proximity to the Citadel and Hampton Park. In existence since the city’s founding, Hampton Park originally incorporated land from the Orange Grove and Lowndes Grove Plantations. By the early 1800’s, it was used as the site of baseball games, and later played host to horse races, before being assembled for “The South Carolina and West Indian Exposition” in 1901. Currently the park sits on 63.9 acres of land and features a fitness trail, water ponds, water fountains, bridges, picnic areas, gardens, a playground, and baseball and softball fields.