Located just outside the Town of Mount Pleasant, this unique and breathtaking property at 4436 Wando Farms embodies Lowcountry living with a pristine, waterfront location, an expertly designed estate and preserved natural surroundings.
Situated along the Wando River, Wando Farms is a gated community which combines elegant home sites with abundant natural surroundings to create a unique retreat. The peaceful and natural setting makes you feel like you are miles away from the hustle and bustle of the city, but you are still just minutes from major services. The community is restricted to 14 home sites and was developed to preserve the Southern charm of the Lowcountry with moss-draped live oaks and hundreds of acres of woods, pastures and private lakes that are maintained by a full-time property manager. The majority of the farm, 468-acres, is protected by a conservation easement in which each property owner holds 1/14 ownership stake. The farm has an equestrian center with a 10-stall horse stable, miles of walking and riding trails and two ponds stocked with bass and brim. A nature lover’s paradise, you will delight in watching the migratory patterns of coastal birds, getting lost in the acres of undeveloped land or partaking in deer hunting, fishing, or dove, duck and turkey shooting. There is also a kiwi farm on the property and acres of land that can be used by property owners for farming or gardening.
The Home Site:
4436 Wando Farms Road is one of the fourteen home sites in Wando Farms. The expertly designed lot sits on a point and stretches out into the Wando River with yards of waterfront footage. The home was painstakingly designed so you don’t see any surrounding homes to give you the utmost sense of privacy. A circular driveway welcomes you and a low-maintenance yard is landscaped with native plants from the farm and mature live oaks.
The home site has three main structures—a main house, a guest cottage, and a pool house—which are all attached under covered breezeways. They were designed in such a manner that most of the rooms and all of the outdoor living spaces (including screened porches, balconies and decks) overlook the Wando River. There is also a cabin on the property which is set back from the main structures.
The home’s elegant lawn leads up to the banks of the river. Outdoor living spaces abound and were designed to capitalize on the views. A large, in-ground pool sits along the banks of the river with a wooden deck surrounding it so you can relax and unwind while enjoying the cool, river breezes.
The Main House:
The 6,200 square foot main house was carefully designed to make the most of the riverfront views and breezes. Energy efficient materials were used when possible along with natural materials such as reclaimed timber and heart pine flooring. Every space has been maximized to make the most of storage with thoughtfully designed cabinets, bookshelves and nooks. The main house is the frontmost structure on the property so it has absolute privacy from the guest and pool houses.
The interior of the main home was carefully designed with a good balance between common gathering spaces and private retreats. The layout includes:
- Foyer & Screened Porch: A grand entryway from the front door, this light-filled space has shiplap walls and a wood ceiling. The eye is immediately drawn to the back of the home which opens to a screen porch overlooking the lawn and river.
- Living Space, Dining & Kitchen: Designed as one cohesive room, this large space takes up nearly half of the first floor and is located opposite the foyer from the master wing. A large room, with reclaimed beams from The Citadel, is divided into a sunroom and dining area with a wall of windows looking out over the marsh. The open concept kitchen is located adjacent to this space and transitions into the den which boasts built-in bookshelves and a fireplace.
- Master Wing: Opposite of the living area is the master wing. The thoughtfully designed space offers such perks as a wood-paneled office overlooking the front of the property, a cozy library with floor to ceiling bookshelves and a powder room. A long hallway leads to the master bedroom which has breathtaking views of the manicured lawn and the river just beyond. The en suite bath has a separate tub and shower along with an oversized walk-in closet which is broken up into two sections.
- Butler’s Pantry & Mud Room: Beyond the kitchen is the butler’s pantry and mudroom. Colorful cabinets provide lots of opportunity for storage and there is also a powder room and laundry room.
- Upstairs Loft: Ascending the stairs off of the foyer, you will be greeted by a light-filled loft space which provides a more private lounge space than that on the first floor. French doors open to a deck nestled within the tree tops offering breathtaking panoramic views of the Wando.
- Guest Bedroom Suites: The central loft separates the two bedroom suites from one another. Both bedrooms are large with en suite bathrooms.
The Guest House:
Located to the right of the main house is the 2,800 square foot guest cottage. While it is connected to the main house via a covered breezeway, it is completely self sufficient and private. A covered front porch looks out over the front of the property, while a wrap-around screen porch offers the perfect perch to watch the tides ebb and flow.
The light-filled interior has an inviting floor plan with a large living room and a completely open, modern kitchen with unhampered views of the river and marsh. Tall ceilings, heart pine flooring and custom cabinets add to the space. One bedroom is located downstairs, facing the river, with an en suite bathroom and has access to the screened porch. The other bedroom suite is located upstairs with a separate seating area. There is also a powder room and laundry room on the first floor.
The Pool House:
Opposite the guest house is the pool house, which is also connected to the main house by a covered breezeway. The 1,200 square foot home has a spacious bedroom on the second floor along with an en suite bathroom and separate seating area with a sunning deck nestled among the tree tops. The first floor was made for entertaining with a large, screened room looking out over the heated pool and river. An outdoor cooking facility and wood-burning fireplace make this versatile year-round.
Despite the fact that you feel like you are in another world while on the farm, you are located just north of the Town of Mount Pleasant. The world-class city of downtown Charleston is just a 30 minute drive and nearby services including restaurants, shopping and a new hospital are right around the corner. Area beaches on Isle of Palms and Sullivans Island are also nearby as is the members-only golf course of Bulls Bay.
For more information or to set up a showing, contact listing agents John Barnwell or Robertson Allen.