One delicacy Charleston never forgets is its seafood, so help us kick off the shrimping season the right way — with the Blessing of the Fleet. Held at Memorial Waterfront Park, it’s the one time you can watch all of Mt. Pleasant’s shrimping boats line up in a parade and wish for a bountiful season. It’s also a festival that celebrates and supports local fishermen, who are an important part to our city and heritage.
The festival begins at 11:30 a.m. with music by Southwood. The blessing ceremony will commence at 12:45 p.m. and will follow with the Parade of Boats at 1 p.m. Musical bands Southwood and East Coast Party Band will continue the celebration with more performances afterwards, going on until 6 p.m. The Shag and Shrimp Eating contests start at 4:20 p.m. and the closing ceremony ends at 6 p.m.
This year the commemorative t-shirt is designed by Guy Harvey for the 26th annual blessing of the fleet. Available April 1st, t-shirts can be bought at local Palmetto Moon stores, Mt. Pleasant Town Centre, and the Citadel Mall.
All day long, there will be festivities going on. Children can play along the playground, and you can taste some of Charleston’s finest foods from local restaurants. There will also be a craft show, where you can shop and admire different types of art. For more information, be sure to visit their website: Comeonovermp.com.
- Sunday, April 28, 2013
- Memorial Waterfront Park
- Harry M. Hallman, Junior Blvd, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
- (843) 884-8517
- Time: 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Admission is Free, Parking is Free
Two shuttle bus routes will be available for more convenient and easier parking. Park and ride from:
- The former Baker/Miller Cadillac lot at 512 Johnnie Dodds Blvd
- James B. Edwards Elementary at 855 Von Kolnitz Road
- East Cooper Medical Center at 2000 Hospital Drive
- Laing Middle School at 1560 Mathis Ferry Road
- Moultri Middle School at 645 Coleman Blvd
- Limited free parking at Memorial Waterfront Park